On printing, digital archives, and frequent deleting from social media

P1XELS Forums Printing Your Work On printing, digital archives, and frequent deleting from social media

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Christopher Swink Christopher Swink 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Christopher Swink
    Christopher Swink
    Participant

A high profile photographer and print maker recently said to me, “Man you’ve got some big balls. Who the fuck do you think you are?” My reply. “I’m Chris”. Upon reviewing my works just three months after this initial conversation said individual states, “you have made a quantum leap in your photographic process. Although I wasn’t expecting it to be this drastic. Not many people can achieve this even in a lifetime.” The only way I was able to achieve such results was from taking on the arduous task of printing my own works. Hours upon hours of proofing and sometimes I am still not satisfied with the results. Regardless. It really doesn’t matter, or it does; note contradiction, what anyone thinks. If you feel your work is good enough to “make it”, print it!

Profile photo of Knox Bronson
    Knox Bronson
    Keymaster

Well, that’s a nice thing to hear from someone. Balls, indeed! Are you doing you printing, Chris? Or using a service bureau? I’ve done tons of printing on an Epson 4880, but mostly just use service bureau now.

Profile photo of Christopher Swink
    Christopher Swink
    Participant

Knox. Yes I am doing all of my own printing. Currently on an Epson R3000. I am picking up a still in box never used Epson 7880 in a couple of weeks. I am printing on Ilford Galerie Prestige Gold Fibre Silk true baryta papers. I am also printing on all 8 channels of my printers with John Cone inks. All mono. All carbon encapsulated pigment inks. Eight different shades of blacks and grays. I need the freedom to be able to proof my own prints. Only way I can know for certain if the print is to my liking or not. I have used five different printing services in the US and have not had any luck with them, providing proofs to my liking. With the money I have spent in using printing services I could have bought two good R3000’s.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar